Another wild week in AI with Microsoft investing $10B in OpenAI and Google going into red-alert mode by firing 12,000 employees and bringing in Larry & Sergey to help with 20 AI products they have in the works.
There's a lot to cover today. Let's get to it.
In today's issue:
- 💡MOST INNOVATIVE PRODUCT: Magician for Figma
- 🎨 CREATIVE REALITY STUDIO by D-ID (sponsored)
- 📰 AI NEWS: Microsoft confirms investment in OpenAI, ChatGPT passes MBA exam
- 💰WHO GOT FUNDING THIS WEEK: Scenario, Qritive, GSS, Impel, Myelin Foundry, Oxpit, Aiola, SoundHound, Sheeva AI, Waire Health, VisioLab, Coho AI, Presso
- 🤯 COOLEST THING: Playground
- 🧠THINGS WE LEARNED: OpenAI CEO surprised that no one built ChatGPT sooner, The rise of "AI Fluency", Midjourney has a new blend feature, Github Copilot looking sus
- ✨FEATURED ARTISTS: P A N C A K E S !, julsme.eth, Reigh, Lukas Hermann
Magician for Figma
💡MOST INNOVATIVE PRODUCTTry It
This is brand new and we love it already 😍
Magician — A magical design tool for Figma powered by AI, which you can use for everything from copywriting to generating unique icons from text.
Creative Reality™ Studio
by D-IDTry it
🚩 Sponsor spotlight 🚩
D-ID recently launched the Creative Reality™ Studio, a self-service platform that lets you create videos of moving and talking avatars using Generative AI tools — Stable Diffusion, GPT-3, and D-ID’s unique facial animation technology.
With D-ID's platform, you can add custom-made videos generated from images and text to your presentations, corporate communications, or social media content.
- Upload and animate any image of a face
- Text-to-speech capabilities in 120+ languages
- Script generation by GPT-3
- Integration with PowerPoint
- Upload a voice recording
- Monthly plans start from $5.99
- API access for Enterprise clients
✨ D-ID is giving LORE readers a 20% discount off the first month's subscription. Use the code LOREFRIENDS20 to take advantage of this offer ✨
Microsoft confirms investment in OpenAI, ChatGPT passes MBA exam
Microsoft confirms investment in OpenAI
It's now official — Microsoft's “multibillion-dollar investment” in ChatGPT maker OpenAI. The deal came just days after Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella announced massive layoffs in response to the tech downturn, so the stake in OpenAI signals an obvious belief that AI represents a technology that could transform Microsoft and secure its position as an exclusive cloud computing provider (Azure) to one of the world’s leading AI start-ups.
ChatGPT passes MBA exam
New research conducted by a professor at University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School found that ChatGPT was able to pass the final exam for the school's MBA program.
The bot's score shows its "remarkable ability to automate some of the skills of highly compensated knowledge workers in general and specifically the knowledge workers in the jobs held by MBA graduates including analysts, managers, and consultants." — Wharton Professor Christian Terwiesch
Who got funding this week
- Qritive raised $7.5M to develop AI solutions to advance digital pathology for cancer diagnosis, enhance imaging accuracy and improve health outcomes.
- Global Screening Services (GSS) raised £37M to screen financial institutions’ transaction data with AI.
- Impel raised $104M for its AI-powered customer engagement platform for the auto industry.
- Myelin Foundry raised $3M to deploy Edge AI solutions on complex unstructured data in real-time.
- Oxpit raised $4.9M for AI medical imaging.
- Aiola raised $25M for its product that uses voice and image recognition to streamline inspection processes in food and pharmaceutical factories.
- SoundHound raised $25M for its voice artificial intelligence product.
- Sheeva.AI raised $9.25M to automate the driver experience.
- Waire Health raised £2M for remote patient monitoring technology.
- VisioLab raised €2M for AI-based self-checkout solutions for food service providers.
- Coho AI raised $8.5M for AI services and tools to convert customer usage data into revenue.
- Presso raised $8M to automate dry cleaning services with AI-powered machines.
Further reading on funding for AI startups
- Generative AI funding exploded over the past 2 years — read article
- University of Chicago launches incubator for AI healthcare startups — read article
🤯 COOLEST THING
Suhail Doshi, the well-known Silicon Valley founder of MixPanel and Mighty, released a new feature on Playground that produces beautiful results. Suhail has said he's burned all his boats and is all in on AI. We're excited to see where Playground goes.
What else we found this week
A new contender among AI-powered search engines
A fan-made Batman animated movie
Personal interactive avatar teachers on any topic
An AI financial search tool
🧠THINGS WE LEARNED
OpenAI CEO surprised that no one built ChatGPT sooner, The rise of "AI Fluency", Midjourney has a new blend feature, Github Copilot looking sus
🥋 Prompt Tip of the Week: When asking GPT-3 a question about a technical concept, be specific about the level of complexity desired in the answer — Marc-Alexandre Cartiant
OpenAI CEO surprised that no one built ChatGPT sooner
The rise of "AI Fluency"
It's worth developing your prompt engineering skills.
Midjourney has a new blend feature to combine images and styles
GitHub Copilot looking sus
Further Study 📖
- ChatGPT is 'not particularly innovative,' and 'nothing revolutionary', says Meta's chief AI scientist — read article
- ChatGPT Is Just the Beginning – AI Is Quietly Reshaping Every Aspect of Your Life — read article
- ChatGPT Is Doing for AI What Apple's iPhone Did for Smartphones — read article
+ What have people been using ChatGPT for? A bunch of people shared their use cases on this thread 👇
- Data and AI projects to help NHS tackle winter crisis — read article
- Digital health funding and deals roundup: Bayer acquires AI platform company — read article
- Optimizing the Healthcare Supply Chain: The Predictive Power of Artificial Intelligence — read article
- Using motion capture technology and AI to monitor the progression of movement disorders — read article
- Sanofi, CytoReason expand AI deal into IBD — read article
Ethics and bias
- AI isn’t always bad news. Here’s how to deploy it ethically — read article
- How AI Can Rid The Internet of Fake News and Bias — read article
- Improving lending profitability and fairness with AI — read article
- Google Research, 2022 & Beyond: Language, Vision and Generative Models — read article
- The economy is down, but AI is hot. Where do we go from here? — read article
- Learning to lie: AI tools adept at creating disinformation — read article
- Top 7 AI trends to watch out for in 2023 — read article
- How ChatGPT and other new AI tools are being used by lawyers, architects and coders — read article
- All-In on AI: How Smart Companies Win Big With Artificial Intelligence — read article
- I’m a copywriter. I’m pretty sure artificial intelligence is going to take my job — read article
P A N C A K E S !, julsme.eth, Reigh, Lukas Hermann
This month's contest theme was hands.
Winner: P A N C A K E S !
See you next week,
Nathan Lands & Michele du Toit