✨Lore Issue #23: Open-source AI Event Database + NVIDIA AI Foundations
This week was another flurry of news with major updates from Adobe, NVIDIA, and Runway. And... Google released Bard. The acceleration to AGI continues.
This week was another flurry of news with major updates including Adobe Firefly, NVIDIA AI Foundations, and Gen-2 from Runway. And... Google released Bard. The acceleration to AGI continues.
Also, after the success of our AI event with Scenario, Beamable, and A16Z, we've decided to get involved in more events. We've created an open-source AI event database. Please share it with others if you find it helpful, and feel free to add any events we're missing.
Let's get started.
In today's issue:
- LEARN SOMETHING: How people are using GPT-4 for work
- COOLEST THING: Gen-2 by Runway
- FEATURED TOOL: Adobe Firefly
- EVENTS: Announcing our Open Source AI Event Database
- INDUSTRY UPDATES: NVIDIA Foundations, Bing Image Creator, Google Bard, and Luma AI
- FURTHER STUDY: Additional industry links and resources
Boost Your Productivity: Weekly Generative AI Insights for Work
Exploring GPT-4 Use Cases For Work
In just over a week since its release, GPT-4 has been making waves, with professionals employing AI to enhance their work.
Explore these inspiring examples and consider how AI can elevate your work or expand your business.
Use Case 1: Prototype Ideas
Zaid Farooqui leverages GPT-4 to transform his "graveyard of tightly scoped side projects" into functional prototypes.
Insight: Have you considered utilizing GPT-4 to breathe life into your dormant startup ideas and create testable prototypes?
Use Case 2: Rapid Software Development
Joe Perkins utilized GPT-4 to develop code for 5 microservices for a new product, saving both time and money.
Insight: Consider harnessing the power of GPT-4 for rapid, cost-effective software development, from writing code to providing step-by-step instructions for deployment.
Use Case 3: Book Author Co-pilot
Reid Hoffman collaborated with GPT-4 to write "Impromptu: Amplifying our Humanity through AI," the first book written using the AI language model.
Insight: Embrace GPT-4's creative capabilities to generate content or even co-author an entire book, exploring new frontiers in literature and storytelling.
The Generative AI Application That Wowed UsGen-2 By Runway
This week's coolest thing is Gen-2 by Runway.
Gen-2 can make new videos using text, images, or video clips, giving creators a whole new level of creativity. We're already thinking about how we can use it at Lore.
Gen-2 lets you create new videos that look real and feel natural by using the style from an image or text. It's like making a video without needing a camera!
Here are some awesome features of Gen-2:
- Text to Video: Make videos with just a text description. If you can say it, you can see it.
- Text + Image to Video: Create a video using a picture and a text description.
- Stylization: Change the style of your video to match any image or description.
- Storyboard: Turn simple drawings into fully styled and moving videos.
- Mask: Focus on certain parts of your video and change them with text descriptions.
Gen-2 is a big step forward in making videos with AI. Runway continues to be one of the most impressive companies in the space. We can't wait to see what they do next.
The Most Useful Generative AI Tool We DiscoveredAdobe Firefly
This week's featured tool is Adobe Firefly. We've been waiting to see what AI play Adobe would make, and now it's here. And it's pretty incredible.
Adobe Firefly lets you use simple language to generate extraordinary new content.
Here are some of its exciting features:
- Digital Imaging and Photography: Add your ideas to your work instantly with context-aware image generation. Save time and experiment with different concepts.
- Illustration, Artwork, and Graphic Design: Create custom vectors, brushes, and textures using just a few words or a sketch. Edit your creations with familiar tools.
- Video: Change the mood, atmosphere, or weather in your videos. Adobe is exploring text-based video editing with Firefly for easy and quick adjustments.
- Marketing and Social Media: Make unique posters, banners, and social posts with simple text prompts. Upload a mood board to generate original, customizable content.
- 3D Modeling: Adobe hopes to enable Firefly to work with 3D, turning simple 3D compositions into photorealistic images and creating new styles and variations of 3D objects.
Here is an excellent thread from Linus with examples:
Firefly is currently in beta. Request access here.
List of upcoming AI conferences, meetups, and hackathonsOpen-Source AI Event Database
🎉 New Open-Source AI Event Database!
Excited to announce that we've created an open-source AI event database! While it's currently only partially filled out, we plan to expand it significantly over the next few days by adding AI conferences, meetups, and hackathons. Each week, we'll feature a few events from the list in our newsletter.
We'd be thrilled if you could contribute to the database and share it with others who might find it helpful! Your support will help create a valuable resource for the Generative AI community. 🤝
News, Investments, and Acquisitions Shaping the Generative AI Landscape
NVIDIA Announces AI Foundations
In a week filled with amazing announcements, one of the most exciting and significant developments was NVIDIA's AI Foundations.
This new cloud service, which includes NeMo for language processing and Picasso for handling images, videos, and 3D content, might seem complicated at first glance, but it has major implications for businesses.
By enabling companies to create custom AI applications, NVIDIA is transforming from a hardware provider to an enterprise-first AI provider, making AI more accessible and tailored for businesses across various industries.
- Scenario partnered with Sandbox, the leading user-generated Metaverse with millions of registered users. – Read article
- Google Releases Bard, Its Competitor in the Race to Create A.I. Chatbots – Read article
- Microsoft 365 Copilot announced – your copilot for work – Read article
- Microsoft’s Bing chatbot now lets you create images via OpenAI’s DALL-E – Read article
- PhotoRoom(YC S20) launches Instant Backgrounds for product marketing. - Read tweet
- Adept raised $350 million in fresh funding – Read article
- AI startup Unlearn raises $15M in funding, adds OpenAI CTO Mira Murati to board. – Read article
- Bionic Health raises $3M for its AI health clinic using GPT-4 and other ML models to design better preventative care. – Read article
- Prescient AI Raises $4.5M in Seed Funding. – Read article
- IPRally raised $10.8M for their patent search engine powered by explainable AI. –Read article
- MLOps platform Seldon raises $20M Series B to improve the productions of AI models – Read article
- Filmustage raised $550k to leverage AI to break down film scripts, create shooting schedules and more. – Read article
Expand Your Knowledge with Key Generative AI Papers, Articles, and Resources
- GTC 2023 Keynote with NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang – Watch video
- Dalai is a super simple way to run LLaMA AI on your computer. — Read instructions
- PitchBook’s new tool uses AI to predict which startups will successfully exit – Read article
- Next version of ghostwriter will — after asking your permission of course — write directly to your files. – Read tweet
- The Federal Register Copyright Office provides new guidance on AI-generated content. – Read PDF – Read tweet
- 9 AI tools for video generation - Shared by Matt Wolfe -- Read thread
- ChatGPT for Unity - Shared by Rowan Cheung - Read tweet
- The first Open-Source txt2video 1.7 billion parameter diffusion model. - Shared by TomLikesRobots - Read Tweet - Hugging Face Link
See you next week!